after 6 days and 2,627 responses (which is INCREDIBLE, THANK YOU VERY MUCH), here are some graphs and charts and whatsits from the survey some of you may have taken :) (click on the pictures for a clearer image, they’re not all 500px)
- age is about on par with what i expected, though tbh i am a little alarmed that the 13-15 range is so high [mom voice]. just from the demographics of my own friends i was expecting 24+ to be higher in volume, but the numbers make sense to me overall.
- gender: also not surprising to me, but i’m very excited to see such a MASSIVE number of girls and women together and enthusiastic about something :B
- sexuality was slightly different than i expected, mostly i didn’t know there were so many straight people. it’s a lower concentration than most populations in general, but fandom seems SO queer-oriented that from my vantage point i tend to forget it’s not like 97% not-straight lmao
- FOR THE BAR GRAPHS, keep in mind the percentages encompass every answer totaled together, which means there can be way more than 2627 if people checked more than one box, which i’m sure many of you did. so, it’s not saying that 25% of people who responded read fic, it’s saying that 25% of every response to that question is a person saying that they read fic (send me a msg if this doesn’t make sense). this means that i am going to be very loosely and vaguely making my own rough percentages for the bar graph part bc i cba to calculate every response accurately aha !
- so in reality, for activities, TONS of ppl who replied are fic readers, which is awesome. well over 80%. i also think it’s kinda funny that around 2% of you don’t even listen to their music lmao
- wrt fic reading i found it interesting that so many people are into the self-insert/imagine variety of fic, a little over a quarter of ppl who said they read fic. this whole thing has really taken me around corners of the fandom that i don’t see often from where i’m standing. if i had the patience i’d like to see how those replies match up with age, but google only gave me these charts to peruse and lbr i do not have the patience to search thru 2600 answers for specifics on that. MAYBE ONE DAY
- social media sites was a really cool one (albeit sad for me) because, like… more people use INSTAGRAM for fandom related purposes than livejournal now. lj was where i got my start in fandom stuff and it’s bizarre to me that it’s so scarcely used in comparison to other sites. but at least it’s still under facebook 8)
- so the secret relationship question #SCANDAL i was really not expecting the yeses to be this high. 32%?!??! i haven’t finished reading every written response to why one believes what they do, but i’ve gotten through a lot of them. the general tone seems to be one of conviction, and the obvious two members are louis and harry. there’s been a generous handful of zayn/liam and a very small handful of niall/harry too. one step down from conviction is a lot of people being really unsure but saying yes anyway, some of them specifying it’s bc they want it to be true (for all the ships mentioned there are ppl who feel this way). there’s also a good chunk of responses along the lines of “not anymore, but in the past”. tbh putting my own feelings about the matter aside i think this is one of the more interesting questions i asked and i got a lot of interesting answers, and if i didn’t have a DEADLINE THAT’S VERY SOON i’d put out another survey for more info on this topic by itself
SO HERE ARE MY FINDINGS!!!! let me know if you found this interesting or want to talk about any part of it :)
final note: i only just closed submissions and i have absolutely not read through every written response to the other questions, but the one i did read was what brought people together in fandom BESIDES one direction, and the answers were incredibly uplifting, about friendships and personal connections made that transcend the whole boyband thing. SO NICE. I LOVE YOU ALL